Pott Shrigley School has a long-established link with the Parish Church of St. Christopher’s, which in 1492 was known as ‘Pott Chapel’. In that year, Geoffrey Downes of Shrigley provided in his will for a priest to teach the children of the village and thus the ‘school’ was founded.
Lessons took place in a building in the grounds of the church but all trace of it has disappeared over time; the current school house was built sometime in the 19th century and was added to substantially during the 20th century. Ownership of the building transferred to Pott Shrigley village from the Shrigley Estate when the estate was being sold off during the 1960’s and is now run under the auspices of the Village Hall Trust.
Nowadays, links with the church are still strong; the Priest-in-Charge, Rev. Lynn Cauldwell, visits the school regularly and takes a collective worship assembly once a week, on a Monday.
School families are always welcome at St. Christopher’s and especially at the monthly family services during term time, which are usually on the 3rd Sunday of the month. The children are actively encouraged to participate with worship songs, Bible readings and prayers, to the delight of the regular congregation.
The Rose Queen festival is probably the most popular church-school event, which usually takes place over the third weekend in June. Celebrations start on the Saturday afternoon with the Rose Queen processing from school to the Village Green with her entourage, then after the crowning ceremony, the festivities begin. There's the ever-popular afternoon tea tent, stalls selling bric-a-brac, plants, cakes, lucky dip, guessing the name of the teddy; games of tug o’ war, welly throwing, wheelbarrow racing and other fun activities. Everyone welcome!
Please click here for St. Christopher's Church website